Saturday, December 8, 2007

Sea legs...

So I have been on the beach for about 4 days now. What a life. The agonizing, 15 hour bus ride was worth it. We have our own little cottage with a kitchen and shower! The beach is beautiful. I think Megan and I were here for two days when we decided to extend our stay an extra five days. No safari. I would pick this over a safari any day. I kind of figured that would happen. I love being near the water. We bought fresh lobster and shrimp on the beach and fruit and vegetables from little markets. Needless to say, we have been eating gourmet seafood dinners every night. My regards to the chef! (Me) Megan does the dishes. It is a good routine we have going.
I never want to leave. I realize now that I must live near water. Although I’m not so sure how I would do on the water. In a boat, that is. After today I think I will just enjoy from the shore. Maybe swim a little. Megan and I went out on a handmade sailboat with two Rasta guys named Juma and Juma. The plan was to fish and go snorkeling. Fun, right? Well it was so beautiful for the first few minutes. The further we made it out there and the bigger the waves got, the sicker I became. Megan was a little sick, but she managed. I, on the other hand, tried to hold it together. Deep breaths, look at the horizon line… Didn’t work. I totally barfed off the side of the little boat. I could barely open my eyes after that. I should have swam, but I was a little weak after puking about three different times. Gosh, how pathetic. After they took me back to shore, Megan actually went snorkeling. She said it was really great until the way back. She then came and joined me for sick nap time in front of the fan. Maybe I should go and do something productive.
It is nice to be on vacation now. I didn’t realize how draining it was being in Bungoma. Both physically and mentally. I am in tip-top shape now, because you had to walk for miles no matter what you did, so that’s good. But it was also stressful. You had to see and deal with a lot on a daily basis. If it wasn’t just getting constant attention (both positive and negative) for being a Mzungu, then it was having to face the harsh reality of poverty and begging street kids. A trip into town was never dull. Nevertheless, it exhausts you. Not to mention living on a farm with twenty or more people. That demanded a lot of energy, too. It was really sad leaving the farm though. It became my home away from home, and I can’t help but to think that I may not see many of those people again.
Somehow, wherever I go the animals always seem to find me. Aside from the millions of monkeys around here that will come into your cottage and steal your food, I have about five cats that beg outside of our door every night. Maybe it was the shrimp heads I gave them the first night… Softy.
I’m really looking forward to Christmas. Maybe not the cold weather. I am so excited to come home and see all of my peeps and pets. I need some hugs and kisses, I think.

No comments: